The Kern Wheelmen Bicycle Club invites you to enjoy our 31th annual Spooktacular Century on Oct. 21. Registration includes six great routes to choose from, one entry to the raffle, post-ride meal, spooky rest stops, marked routes, maps, full sag support, goodie bag, an eerie lack of traffic and one stoplight. Decorate your bike, wear spooky clothing and join the fun.
SIX SPOOKTACULAR RIDES
- Hideous Hundred – 10,800 feet of climbing – 109 miles. Bring your big gears and an attitude. This ride up Breckenridge Mountain will Haunt you for a long time and the decent will give you Chills. Your special Hideous Hundred patch will be waiting for you at the top. Difficulty-Extreme, Suggested ride start at 6 a.m.
- Horrible Hundred- 8,600 feet of climbing – 102 miles. You had better still bring those big gears; Lion’s Trail and White Wolf grade are each 5 1/2 miles long and have grades of 6-8 percent that will make your quads Scream with Pain. Difficulty-Extreme, Start before 6 a.m.
- Nightmare Ninety- 4,500 feet of climbing – 92 miles. Actually after the White Wolf Grade some of this course will leave you with pleasant dreams as you ride up Caliente Creek to Twin Oaks and back. Start before 7 a.m.
- Morbid Metric- 2,900 feet of climbing – 62 miles. With a Monster climb of its own White Wolf grade will get your lungs Howling. Your destination is Caliente where you will meet the riders from the Hideous and Horrible Hundreds & Nightmare Ninety. Start before 8 a.m.
- Frightful Forty- 500 feet of climbing – 40 miles. Enjoy this Halloween ride along Kern River on our bike path, past the California Living Museum, Ethel’s Coral and up rattlesnake grade (two miles of 3-4 percent grade) which will get your legs asking for mercy! Start before 9 a.m.
- Trembling Twenty- Same route as Frightful Forty. Rattlesnake grade will get your legs Screeching and a long downhill will get your lungs gasping. Start before 9 a.m.
For more information visit kernwheelmen.org.
Jerseys are produced on demand by Voler. Active registration closes Thursday, Oct. 13 at 11:59 pm
LATE REGISTRATION AND PACKET PICK-UP
Friday, Oct. 20 from 4:30 to 8 p.m. at the Plumbers & Steamfitters Hall, 6718 Meany Ave, Bakersfield, CA 93308, or onsite Saturday, Oct. 21 at 5 a.m. to 8 a.m. at the Kern River Group Picnic area.
Check in by 5 p.m. to let us know that you survived this ghastly ordeal. Plenty of rest stops and expert roving SAG is provided. The rides will take place rain or shine. Sorry, no refunds. Bad weather may cause route changes. Temperatures may vary from hot to cold so prepare accordingly. Ride is limited to 600 riders. Course closes at 5 p.m. Give yourself plenty of time!
From Hwy 99, go east on Hwy 58 to Comanche Drive. Turn left (North) on Comanche Drive. Comanche Drive turns into Alfred Harrell Highway. Continue to stop sign (Lake Ming road) turn right and follow the Spooktacular signs.